Child and Maternal Health
YHPHO has become part of Public Health England, joining its Knowledge and Intelligence Team (Northern and Yorkshire).
This page is an historical archive only.
YHPHO was the lead public health observatory for child and maternal health at a national level. With funding from the Department of Health, in 2008 we established the national specialist Child and Maternal Health Observatory (ChiMat) to take forward this national programme. ChiMat provided wide-ranging, authoritative data, evidence and practice relating to children, young people's and maternal health. It supported policy makers, commissioners, managers and other health stakeholders to improve decision-making for high quality, cost effective services.
From 1 April 2013, ChiMat became part of Public Health England (PHE), an executive agency of the Department of Health. You can access information, evidence and interactive planning tools through the website www.chimat.org.uk.
Tools and resources
Tools and Data
A suite of
to help you in planning and decision-making allowing you to:
Select interactive maps and tables of indicators and statistics using our regularly updated Data Atlas.
- View key child health indicators and make local, regional and national comparisons in our interactive Child Health Profiles.
- Use our needs assessment and other service planning reports to profile the local needs of key groups.
- Review and plan your priorities against national standards and frameworks with a number of self-assessment tools.
- Improve efficiency of services for children with long-term conditions using the Disease Management Information Toolkit (DMIT) for paediatric asthma, diabetes and epilepsy.
- Access a range of other valuable online tools and datasets to support better decision- making for child and maternal health using our comprehensive Data Directory.
A comprehensive up to date
through which you can:
Access the latest research, evidence and related media stories.
- Download national frameworks, guidelines and strategy documents.
- Find key information providers, government initiatives, case studies and online networks.
- View a calendar of conferences, workshops and other events.
- Keep up to date by subscribing to the weekly and monthly ChiMat ebulletins.
Support and Training
A dedicated team providing health intelligence and knowledge management support to practitioners in the field including:
- Advice and support in using child and maternal health data.
- Training for you and your team on how to use the online tools.
- Guidance on using data to improve your commissioning process.
A network of local specialists provide tailored support and training to encourage the use of data and other health intelligence to improve child and maternal health and well-being in your local area. Contact your
team or visit website at
Last Updated: Friday, 12th April 2013